What authorities will GSAs have?
Under SGMA, GSAs are empowered to utilize a number of new management tools to achieve groundwater sustainability, such as:
- Adopt rules, regulations, ordinances, and resolutions to implement the Act,
- Monitor compliance and enforcement,
- Require registration of groundwater extraction facilities (wells),
- Require appropriate measurement devices and reporting of extractions,
- Investigate, appropriate, and acquire surface water rights and groundwater rights,
- Acquire or augment local water supplies to enhance the sustainability of the groundwater basin,
- Propose and collect fees, and
- Impose limits on groundwater extraction.
The GSA may use a number of management tools to achieve sustainability goals. The specific tools and methods the GSA will use to achieve sustainability will be determined in discussion with stakeholders and identified in the GSP or Alternative Plan.